- Middle School
- About the Middle School
- School Life
- Curriculum & Assessment
- Āwhina Learning Support
- House System
- Pastoral Care
- Key Staff & Contacts
Middle Years Programme (MYP)
The IB Middle Years Programme – an “International Education”
The Middle Years Programme (MYP) for students aged 11 to 16 provides a framework of academic challenge and life skills through embracing and transcending traditional school subjects.
Life in the 21st century places many changing demands on students making the transition through adolescence. They are at a crucial period of personal, social, physical and intellectual development, of uncertainty and of questioning. The International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme is designed to help them find a sense of belonging in the ever-changing and increasingly interrelated world around them and to foster a positive attitude to learning.
How does the IB define “international education”?
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) chooses to define “international education” according to the following criteria.
- Developing citizens of the world in relation to culture, language and learning to live together
- Building and reinforcing students’ sense of identity and cultural awareness
- Fostering students’ recognition and development of universal human values
- Stimulating curiosity and inquiry in order to foster a spirit of discovery and enjoyment of learning
- Equipping students with the skills to learn and acquire knowledge, individually or collaboratively, and to apply these skills and knowledge accordingly across a broad range of areas
- Providing international content while responding to local requirements and interests
- Encouraging diversity and flexibility in teaching methods
- Providing appropriate forms of assessment and international benchmarking