- Middle School
- About the Middle School
- School Life
- Curriculum & Assessment
- Learning Support
- House System
- Pastoral Care
- Key Staff & Contacts
Plimmer’s Ark, a feature of early Wellington and owned by John Plimmer often known as ‘the Father of Wellington’
The house was established in 1993 and named after the Plimmer family.
Four grandchildren of John Plimmer were enrolled at Scots College as boarders on the same day, in 1916. These four boys had a lasting effect on the College.
Maxwell Plimmer became a staunch member of the Scots College Old Boys’ Association (1922 – 1949) and held the positions of Treasurer, Secretary and President during that time.
Len Plimmer wrote the Golden Jubilee History of the College, “The Story of Scots” published in 1966.
Geith Plimmer, Head Prefect in 1924, went on to teach in Australia and England and became a leading lecturer for the Christian Science Church.
Clifford Plimmer served on the SCOBA from 1927-1949 and was President in his last year. He was a member of the Board of Governors from 1928-1963, became an honorary Life Member of Scots College Inc. and was the first Chairman of the Scots College Foundation. His services to commerce in New Zealand were honoured with a knighthood, the KBE in 1967. His four sons attended Scots and when his second son Richard died in 1957 he presented a stone wall and new main entrance gates to the College as a memorial. Years later Lady Plimmer and sons Warren and Malcolm, made a considerable donation for rebuilding the present gates at the main entrance.
Max, Len, Geith and Clifford had a sister, Anna, whose son, Ian McKinnon became the College’s Headmaster (1992 – 2002).
Generations of Plimmer boys are still in attendance at the College.