Introducing Gibb House
Since its inception in 1916, Scots College has had a proud history of boarding. From its beginnings, emphasis was placed on the provision of boarding facilities to enable the sons of rural families to obtain an education. On the opening day there were 14 boarders in residence increasing to its peak of 140 in the 1960’s, mostly from rural communities.
In 2007 boarding numbers had declined to 30 and the facilities were very poor. The Board made a strategic decision to invest in boarding as a cornerstone of the College, a turning point for Gibb House.
This resulted in a new facility, which proved popular, with the 60 places on offer filling within two years. The College could also reintroduce seven day boarding. Over the intervening years, boarding numbers have continued to grow and the College has facilitated this by purchasing properties adjacent to the Campus. These developments have increased the College’s boarding capacity to over 100 students.
In addition new Boarding Houses were opened in 2015 and 2018. There are single rooms for seniors; all other rooms are twin share. The well-designed rooms are modern and comfortable with study facilities and online access in every room. Two supervised flats, located on the College’s boundary, provide an independent living opportunity for senior boarders.
Still a home away from home boarding has developed and changed with boarders now coming to Scots from Queenstown, Kapiti Coast, Wairarapa and Blenheim as well as numerous local boarders from Wellington city as they enjoy the benefits of living at school. Additionally the growth in international students sees approximately 30% of students who board come from overseas. These students join Gibb House from 14 different countries including Japan, China, Thailand, USA, New Caledonia, Fiji, Germany, India, Australia, Hong Kong, Papua New Guinea, England, Tonga and Tokelau.