- Prep School
- School Life
- House System
- Key Staff & Contacts
- Prep Transport
Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC)
Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC) is an important part of the Scots curriculum. Taking boys outside the classroom, away from the city and letting them discover and learn through their time in the outdoors is an essential part of the All-Round Man education.
These curriculum-based learning programmes, which extend outside the classroom, provide opportunities for a vast array of positive outcomes in a boy’s education. These can range from a museum visit to a sports trip, outdoor education camp or a wide variety of field trips.
We aim to:
- Provide boys with opportunities to learn outside the classroom in all curriculum areas;
- Promote appreciation of our heritage – local, national and global;
- Increase boys’ awareness and understanding of the traditions and values of their own and other cultural groups;
- Increase boys’ understanding of different perspectives on land, natural resources and the environment, and of the need for conservation management;
- Provide boys with opportunities for enjoyment, adventure and challenge, both close to home and far away;
- Provide boys with opportunities to enhance spiritual, physical and mental well-being through uplifting experiences in a natural environment;
- Develop boys’ skills so they can move with confidence and safety in urban, rural and wilderness settings;
- Help boys develop respect for themselves and others, by providing them with opportunities for personal and social development.
In the course of their EOTC experience at Scots Prep School, boys will gain new knowledge and understanding, skills and abilities, and attitudes, as well as building on those they already have.
During the school year all year groups will move away from the classroom environment at different times to undertake day trips, related to the current Unit of Inquiry, as well as being involved in overnight stays away from home that ask them to become increasingly independent and self-sufficient.
EOTC provides our students with the opportunity to experience an overnight or week-long camps in the different environments that New Zealand offers will give them a taste and hopefully a love for the outdoors, along with the confidence necessary to tackle new situations and challenges.