Gibb House - home away from home
Gibb House provides all that the ideal home does – a safe, supportive, encouraging, guiding and motivating environment – a place boys enjoy living in.
The greatest level of support within Gibb House comes from the boys. The boys are who make this place so special.
Gibb House also provides the opportunity to nurture the ‘all round man’ – to move beyond developing a student with specific subject, sporting or cultural skills to developing the whole person.
The Gibb House support structures for boarders and their families help create this environment.
The structure can be broken into 3 categories: students, parents and staff.
- Gibb House Council – used as a forum for year level representatives to voice concerns and make suggestions.
- Positive Behaviour Initiatives: ‘Top Bloke’ awards (weekly), Room Pizza Awards (fortnight),
- Gibb Cup – competition between the 2 houses where participation occurs across all year levels.
- Two Gibb House reports per year.
- Weekly House Meeting that focuses on the positive.
- Regular surveys.
- Regular year level meetings.
- An induction programme for all new boarders.
- End of term House activities that reward positive behaviour.
- Peer tutoring.
- Prefect system – emphasis on mentoring.
- Prefect training specific to relationships & bullying.
- Current staff:
- House masters (Phil Smith and Will Struthers) are both teachers with boarding & Deaning experience who are responsible for the academic and social monitoring & mentoring of boarders.
- Director of Boarding (Geoff Hall) has 14 years of boarding experience has overall responsibility for the academic, social and emotional monitoring & mentoring of boarders. He is also the link with the parents and wider community.
- Matron (Philippa Canning) has 15 years of boarding experience who is responsible the physical and emotional well-being of the boarders.
- Gap tutors (Jamie Betts, Sam Cliffe, Wil Evans and Watisoni Bulivakarua) who live in the boarding house and are responsible for the social mentoring and monitoring of boarders.
- Open door policy of all boarding staff.
- Encouraging parents to contact masters (promoting this through newsletters, eNews, Gibb House Parent Meetings)
- Boarding Review & Prep Tracking system – centralised file that all staff have access to.
- Mentoring with ‘outside helpers’ (House Deans, chaplain, nurses, kitchen staff, sports teams).