Book of the Week: The Torchlight List
The Torchlight List : Around the World in 200 Books
by Jim Flynn
Published by Awa Press
Jim Flynn, now a literature professor, really enjoyed reading as a child, and learned that the best way to educate yourself is by reading great works of literature. Later when he was teaching, he found that many students had very little knowledge outside their immediate area of interest, so he decided to write a tour of the world through books and literature…
This book takes you, in easy sound-bites :-), from early civilisation and science by way of different geographical areas and the human condition, and brings you right up to date with current literature.
It’s a small book, but its purpose is to get us thinking about what to read, in order to learn more about the world we live in.
The 'Torchlight' reference in the title of the book, is all about reading in bed, under the blankets, by torchlight, because when the author was a boy, children were often not allowed to stay up late to finish a book… so they found another way!
Jim Flynn is Emeritus Professor at the University of Otago, and a fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand.
- Book Review: The Cat's Table
- Book Review: Tana Umaga, a Tribute to a Rugby Legend
- 'Story of the All Blacks' offer
- Book Review: The Nature of Ash
- Book review: The Red House
- Book Review: Looking for Alaska
- Book Review: Wonder
- Book Review: The Fault in our Stars
- Book Review: The Card Turner
- Book Review: The Great Harlequin Grim
- Book Review: An Abundance of Katherines
- NZ Post Book Awards Winners announced
- [Book of the Week] Brotherband: The Outcasts
- [Book of the Week] Life: An Exploded Diagram
- Book of the Week: Princes Among Men