Scots College Heritage
 
 

Our Heritage

53 Hobson Street in 1915

53 Hobson Street in 1915

Scots College was founded as a Presbyterian Boys’ College in 1916 by the Rev, Dr James Gibb (Chairman of the Board of Governors 1916-1928) and the Hon. John Aitken (Vice Chairman of the Board of Governors 1916-1921).

The College spent the first three years of its life at 53 Hobson Street in Wellington, before moving to its present site in Strathmore. This allowed for a purpose-built school, boarding facilities and playing fields. Since the College’s inception it has been run by the Board of Governors, who up until 1930 were also responsible for Scots’ sister school, Queen Margaret College, which was established in 1919.

Scots College in the late 70s

Scots College in the late 70s

Today, Scots College aims to provide a mature environment where sound work ethics, self-discipline and independent learning skills are fostered. A key objective is to develop young men who will be recognised for the quality of their citizenship and their ability to learn creatively and independently beyond school.

 

Our Location

Scots College
1 Monorgan Road
Strathmore Park
Wellington 6022
New Zealand
Scots College
PO Box 15064
Miramar
Wellington 6243
New Zealand
X